PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RTR Validity Now 20yrs & Lifetime
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2010, 01:49
jimmygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@guitarboy

I was under impression we don't have to take the Part 1 exam if we have the required recent experience. In case one didn't have the required recent experience, one must retake the part 1 exam to get the renewal.

Of course its a relief as compared to renewal every 5 year. 20 years validity is way better than the current.

Upto 80 years age is a more generous idea, but should have made it lifetime instead, anyways COP-RTR is a requirement for commercial flight and pilots cannot fly after 65th b'day, one doesn't need COP-RTR for private flying.

What I sincerely hope is that they change the renewal criteria also. And the renewal criteria should be just an application and fee, no experience requirement. Otherwise it can be termed unfair and irresponsible way of licensing.

Consider two applicants A and B, on January 2010 both got the COP-RTR. A paid for 20 years and B for a lifetime. Afterwards A got into an airliner and actively used radio-telephony, while B never got a chance to use radio-telephony for next 20 years.

As expected in January 2030 A will lose his privileges while B will still be having all the privileges of the license he paid for. Person A now needs to renew his license, now to be fair to A there should be no requirements of recent experience for renewal, or any need to appear for any exam.

I wish DGCA comes with such offers, you pay 1000 rs for exam instead of regular 500 rs and your exam will be valid for 5 years instead of 2.5 years.