PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2010, 12:08
DeltaFox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi fellow members! Its unfortunate that my first post on this forum has to be regarding this disorder. However its a reality and it needs to be discussed. So I hope to learn from others and hopefully we can all help each other! So here's my story: I was diagnosed with KK in my right eye in 2009 at age 22. I have been using glasses and contact lenses since 1999 so I am very used to it. Anyway I recall first experiencing KK symptoms in 2003. It was very very mild and it only started to bother me last year (6 years later). During this time I have however obtained a Class 1 medical from the South African CAA and qualified as a CPL. Now after my first diagnosis I was told to come for a check up 6 months later (which was March 2010). I have been told that I only have KK possible in my left eye and KK level 1 in my right eye. The disorder has also taken very long to progress so I think I am quite fortunate that it isn't that bad at this stage. An opthamologist has recommended that I receive crosslinking, which is where they remove the epithilium, insert the riboflavin droplets and use the UV light for 30 minutes. He has even told me that LASIK might be a possible option at a later stage if everything has stabilised.

So my question is, what advice can you give me. Should I have this done or should I rather wait? I have been told that I would be able to fly again after just 1 week although it has been said that my sight in the affected eye might be a bit hazy for a while. ANY HELP/ADVICE WOULD BE EXTREMELT APPRECIATED!!!