PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enough!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2002, 10:30
Bucking Bronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite!

Hand Solo, well put.

JW411, are you a relation of 411A? You seem to come out with the same sort of drivel, however I don't think that even he would resort to reopening old wounds and trying to hijack the obvious grief of relatives of the MAN deceased; shame on you for attemping to use their emotions to score points on a forum. As for the unprecednted event itself we have all learnt valuable lessons and pray that a similar accident does not happen again.

SAS/LIN.
Were you aware that a BA aircraft was cleared for take off but declined as the crew had noticed that the TCAS had not indicated that SAS was airborne? I agree that good and bad luck does raise its head occassionally but I would like to think that at BA our training and focus on operational integrity is such that we are prepared to deal with bad luck without having to rely on good luck. The simple fact is that "British Airways" has only had one hull loss in its history - in Kuwait during the Gulf War when the Iraqis had a pop at the empty aircraft. I hope that this continues.

C4
Obviously bad publicity but ask yourself 3 questions... i) if the makers were concerned about safety why did they withhold 'evidence' for over 7 months and allow drunk pilots to coninue flying? ii) re safety why were the film crew happy to board the airplane for return flights? iii) how many accidents have there been due to drunk pilots compared to fatigued pilots? As recent research in UK and US tiredness causes more road accidents than drunkeness. Surely then an investigation into dubious charter operations night flying there and back to the middle east.

Sabena
Whereas Hand Solo bears facts you state,"I merely passed on a couple of comments made by their fellow countrymen." Well why don't you just ask Joe Bloggs what he thinks about any operation in the UK, or better still don't bother asking and just assume what he will say - what a load of b******t!

B747/Penta Hotel
The B747c was notorious for occassionally hunting through the LOC, the crew were tired and got "landitus". However they did go around. The subsequent inquiry and handling of the crew in particular the Capt was not done well at all and he ended up paying the ultimate price - rest in peace you hurt no one.

B757/Athens
Unfortunately a tea-totaller who got a new command went out to celebrate, got drunk, couldn't handle it and f****d up. The crew intervened and the aircraft did not get airborne. For us that drink we have all made idiots of ourselves under the influence, sadly for this chap the first time for him was at work.

Water Allowance
How long is a LAX 10 hours perhaps, I don't know but the last JFK I did was 7hrs 48 mins. Bearing in mind you lose 500ml of water per hour of cruise and you cannot drink more than 1.5l I think that you would be severely dehydrated. Looking at my bottle of Highland Spring..."Most adults need to drink 8 glasses of water a day - only 1 in 10 do." and "A reduction of your daily requirements of water by 4-5% can reduce your concentration and performance by 20-30%" I think that you are also missing the point people are trying to make and that is there is constant erosion of our terms and conditions both major and minor, enough is enough.

We all await your response