PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine-out training on aircraft
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2010, 08:37
Old Metal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine-out training on aircraft

Sometimes we too easily accept the old adage "we have always done it like that". Why do we still insist on doing EFATO on high performance twin turboprops? When was the last time an engine failed at a critical time after take off in such an aircraft?

In reality engine failure at a critical phase of flight in such aircraft are rare and most aircraft of this nature have auto feather that at least takes some of the sting out of the situation. Sure, the workload can be high but it should not be beyond the capability of a two crew operation of average capability.

I can understand that when the regs were first developed they were designed to take account of twin engine piston engine aircraft in single pilot opeartions with limited performance capability with an engine out.

I am aware of 3 EFATO accidents that have occured on training flights but I can only think of one that has occured in turboprop revenue operations in Australia (the B200 Advance Airlines accident in the early 80's) in recent times.

Insisting on simulator training for all RPT operations is great in theory but unlikely to occur in practice for a multitude of reasons, not all of them financial. Is it not time we started to think outside of the square and analyize the risk of EFATO training on the aircraft against the benefits?

Time, and with it, aircraft performance and reliabilty has too. Shouldn't our regs and our way of looking at such training also move on?