PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Career Development/Progression?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 20:30
zoom-to-the-skies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NATS Career Development/Progression?

Hi,

I'm currently in my last year of A Levels and am seriously considering my future careers.

I have a few options that I have tried to keep as open as possible to myself up to now. (Joining RAF as Logistics/Pilot Officer, going to Uni - got offers, doing my ATPL & joining NATS) Obviously some of them would require passing further tests which of course aren't gaurenteed - I realise this before anybody shouts at me!

The ATPL option is looking less likely at the moment due to various things and I won't go into detail.

Currently I'm doing as much research as possible about joining NATS as an ATCO vs taking a degree and joining a company down the business route.

What I'm hoping to find out from people in the company now, are what the career progression opportunities are like? IE what % of people on to another level in the company, and what these levels are. I assume there are watch managers or similar, supervisors & capacities for instructing. I'd be interested in anybodies experience with this, what people think about NATS in that respect. Are these sort of positions highly competitive or do many people not bother and stay as a standard, non-instructing ATCO forever?

Some people ask me why I'm looking so far ahead and in detail. Don't get me wrong I'd be more than happy to stay "just" at the standard level for fair while, but I'm trying to look into the future and make sure I'd still be happy with my career in say, 30 years time. I'd never want to look back and feel unmotivated/grow to dislike my job. I have a very slight concern that "simply" controlling would not be attractive/varied/challenging in 30 years (similar to the opinion of some on being a pilot!) and I'm just trying to gather opinions - so anything is welcome.

Kind Regards,