PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The IPA at bmibaby
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2010, 18:48
Dreamshiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norman Stanley Fletcher
"Well-meaning but utterly misled individuals like Dreamshiner have decided to give their energies in unemployment to discrediting BALPA. They are, of course, entitled to do that. Nonetheless, they have a fundamental misunderstanding of the realities of our world and a totally false hope in the capabilities of the IPA"
OK my right to reply. First, my current status should have no bearing if I post on here or if my views (which is based purely on my personal experiences) should not have the same credence or merit to a 20 year time served captain. I don't think the patronising tone of your first paragraph does the second (some points I agree with incidentally) any favours.

The poll you talk about is in response to a question posed by Piltdown Man on another thread. I was aware BALPA do get a lot of criticism sometimes justified and sometimes not. I decided to see if my experiences and views were mirrored in my peers or if I was out of kilter. The one thing I really want to see is a strong unified union representing me and my contemporaries robustly and fairly. I think it would be ideal if it was BALPA as they already have the largest base - yes, you read correctly, contrary to what you wrote, I hold no torch for the IPA, however did find them much more helpful than BALPA at 2 significant stages in my career. However I also feel BALPA needs shaken up from the grass roots and restructured, BA CC excluded, if anything they should be used as an example for others to emulate.

The general consensus is that some company councils punch above their weight resulting in a favourable view among their pilot group. The perceived inactivity of BALPA nationally also seems to be a view held almost universally from all sides of the spectrum even those very happy with their T&C's negotiated by their direct representatives.

I also have no interest in discrediting BALPA, I have an interest on accountability and won't sit idly by watching my profession go down the tubes with a blinkered 'don't rock the boat' attitude adopted. I know you feel debate and god forbid, criticism, should be taboo and curtailed. I would recommend you review a little book called 1984 next time you are in the prison library.

As for this thread, it would appear 4 posters, Looker, sjm, INKJET and Budar are or have at one point been BMi Baby employees. Universally they are unhappy with the behaviour of their elected reps and inactivity on a national level. I'll let what they've posted influence my view rather than the opinions of someone promoting BALPA come hell or high water when his own airline runs roughshod and takes the mick.

If this precedent continues it won't be polls or criticism levelled on PPRuNe that discredit BALPA nationally, I think you'll find they'll do it quite adequately themselves.

Pray tell guru of truth, bastion of worldly realities, what is it my little brain and limited intelligence has omitted to consider to align myself with your omnipotent theories?

Last edited by Dreamshiner; 22nd Mar 2010 at 21:20.