PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 21st Mar 2010, 17:23
olly_034

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over in America...

Just a quick update on what's been happening on the US side of things...

Yesterday's crossover was very well planned for. We've held crews back at the airport to ensure they didn't meet with outbound crews on their way to the airport. Some of the inbound strike-breakers/volunteers were very nervous on their way in, but were fine after they found out the arrangements in place.

It has to be said - the volunteers have done an absolutely fantastic job. There were lots of us there to meet the planes as they came in yesterday to make sure everything was ok. THe doors opened and the all the crew were smiling. After welcoming them to New York, the CSD replied with "Thank you so much - we're all very happy to be here...".

The passengers were all smiling, several stopping to thank staff on staff on their way out of the airport. Apparently all were completely fine about the reduced catering, even in Club and First. Not a single complaint to crew. I personally had three pax come up to me yesterday to thank us and everyone at BA for doing a great job keeping the airline running.

The airport itself was calm, but busy. No angry passengers. Very much business as usual.

One alarming thing I found out about later on in the evening was that one of the outbound CSDs apparently asked a member of airport staff to see the GenDec from the inbound flight. Quite how she had the balls and arrogance to do this is astounding. Quite happily asking airport staff for a list of names so that they could be bullied and harrassed when they got home. It's absolutely vile, and exactly the type of person we could do without at this airline.

The staff member of course refused. All staff have since been briefed that under no circumstances should they do this.

No signs of secondary action by US unions/GHAs. All completely normal, and much ado about nothing

Otherwise though - well done to all involved for pulling together and pulling this off so unbelievably well. It really does amuse me to see Unite reps quite happily get on national TV and spurt out such transparently false information! Do they have no shame? Or self-respect? It's just embarrassing for them!