PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unnecessary first officer...
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2010, 20:23
babotika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
antonov,

I don't know exactly what plane you fly, but the autopilot & auto thrust on the plane I fly are much faster at reacting than I am ... And (without wanting to boast) I'm able to fly all automation off without much difficulty.

But the autothrust doesn't understand things like strong gusts (which I will allow the speed to fluctuate around), or wind shear caused by temperature inversions (which I can see thanks to the haze layer) or even just passing through an adolescent cumulous. One day computers will be able to sense all this, but I think that one day is rather further away than some like to think.

We are, after all, still using turbofan engines which were invented over 30 years ago because they still work and coming up with something radically different would cost too much. As I don't think there is a hugely compelling reason to get rid of pilots I doubt it will happen in the near future... In commercial aviation. Fighter pilots should be much more worried, no one - with the possible exception of the accountants - cares if a hunk of steel carrying bombs suddenly stops reacting.

S.