PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unnecessary first officer...
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2010, 19:19
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fly Antonov.
I like your anticipated cost saving due to "lower insurance".

Insurance companies, not surprisingly, tend to be fairly conservative in terms of risk assessment as paying out is not their goal.
Mainly as a result of this, minimum experience levels exist for command positions in most companies, don't think companies like Ryanair wouldn't like to lower the bar (and the salary ) even further for Commanders if they could get it accepted.
What makes you think these self same very conservative insurers are going to rush to accept NO experience in the Flight Deck, Oh and if anyone does (I certainly wouldn't ) subsequently lower the premium.
When the A320 family arrived , it was proclaimed uncrashable by its creators, well, man-machine interface saw that become a bad joke, and even now with the LH X-Wind whoopsy @ Hamburg, it appears the humans at the front end are still discovering new "gotchas".
How many more "gotchas" will there be for your UAV pilots to discover in your "brave new world".
Of course, as a pilot I'll be fine safe on terra firma, I doubt the pax will find that of much comfort.
Think this will remain in the realms of an accountants/ computer geeks dream for longer than you estimate.