PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 19th Mar 2010, 23:46
WeekendFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to pray?

I have been reading this forum with interest ever since the start of this dispute, and find myself feeling deeply saddened by today's outcome. What I would love to know is who was responsible for deciding to go ahead and announce strike dates, when an apparently reasonable offer from BA was on the table that CC should have been allowed to review and vote on? I can't help feeling that the union leadership (be it BASSA, Unite or both), took a step too far on behalf of the membership, which they really should not have taken without membership consultation and approval. If I was in a Union and they did that I would be fuming!

Surely the job of union leaders is to represent and defend their members, not lead them into a crisis? The really sad irony is that the likes of Woodley, McCluskey, Malone et al will carry on in their safe, secure jobs regardless of the outcome and consequences of the strike, whereas the people they claim to represent so well could end up losing their livelihoods because of the actions of the Union leadership. "Tragedy" is a word that comes to mind.

I have decided to pray about the situation, for it seems to me that enlisting divine assistance is worth a try at a time like this! My prayer is that those who have been caught up in something far bigger than they ever wanted or expected will be spared the consequences of bad decisions taken on their behalf, which they would never have agreed to had they been given the option. My prayer is also that BA would survive as a company, for it would be a tragedy if it went under because of this terrible situation. Finally, my prayer is that the actions of the militant few would not lead to a poor outcome for the many (CC and non-CC) who wanted no part in the outcome we have now seen come to pass.

I will close by saying a heartfelt thanks to the crew of BA308 who served me so well on a flight to Paris CDG last Monday morning. As usual, it was a good flight and the cabin crew were helpful, cheerful and professional as ever. I hope and pray that once this ugly industrial relations nightmare is over, you will still have jobs, reasonable Ts&Cs, and be able to continue to do the job you do so well!

WF