PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 19th Mar 2010, 19:32
Eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TopBunk
Whichever way you look at this: BASSA are feeding the Eurofleet fodder into the flames to protect Worldwide T's&C's.

Why didn't they call the dispute to start from 1800 local time? Why, because that affects the lucrative LH departures to SIN, BKK, HKG, GRU, JNB, CPT etc.

It really is about time some people did 'wake up and smell the coffee' - to coin an oft (mis)used BASSA phrase.
Sir, you're right. But whatever way you look at this strike, it's grossly unfair in so many ways.

There will have been people coming home from trips today who will have their MBTs over the next three days of strike action and be due to come in to work on Tuesday. They'll be able to come to work with their heads held high saying "I was off but I would have gone on strike". Well I'm afraid that doesn't cut it for me.

Nor do I accept the "I would have, but couldn't" argument from people who are downroute during the strike, or those on leave or those on part time. Or thse on long-term sick.

In my mind, the only people who have gone on strike are those who either DON'T SHOW for a day at work or those who, on their allocated time off anyway, come to Bedfont or stand on the picket line.

I can see loads of people sitting at home on days off thinking "thank goodness I don't have to strike, but if anyone asks - whether I would have done or not - I'm going to say I'd have gone on strike".

Being on a day off and sitting at home watching telly is NOT striking.

And you're right in that, again, worldwide crew will escape the worst of things as they're more likely to be downroute or on days off and be able to avoid the strike.

So to my Eurofleet colleagues, whatever they decide to do, you have my respect and continued support. We were one team before all this and, regardless of what you do tomorrow, we'll still be one team afterwards.