PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 19th Mar 2010, 17:22
Eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeepBreath
Yes, my wife is a WW Purser & she's livid that she wasn't given the chance to see (and vote on) the deal...
I'm also very disappointed by this and don't feel we would be were we are now had common sense been applied last week.

An offer was put on the table and, whether Bassa is telling the truth and Walsh didn't include the "don't announce dates" caveat or whether it's BA being honest and Walsh did attach the caveat, strike dates shouldn't have been announced.

We were sitting on a knife edge back then. A knife edge whereby we still held a strong hand of cards and managed to extract a good offer from Mr. Walsh - an offer it's said Unite was going to encourage its members to accept. But by the same token we were in a position whereby there was every opportunity to avoid calling a strike to allow more time for negotiation and to discuss the offer that was put infront of us.

I believe it's because we were running out of time to announce dates before having to re-ballot, but dates were announced and this fairly positive offer was removed.

Personally, I'd ballot until the cows come home if it gets us the best deal without impacting our customers. And I feel we missed a trick here. We should have delayed the announcement of strike dates to facilitate proper, detailed discussion about the deal on the table. If that meant having to re-ballot, so be it.

But alas, that's in the past. We've got tomorrow to 'look forward' to.