PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 18th Mar 2010, 12:34
Re-Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But I don't need nor want sympathy for that - I signed up for it. What I do want - and hope for - is that the public sees that there's a lot more to this job than meets the eye.

Ask the passengers of the BA038 if we're overpaid. And ask the family of the man whose life was saved by a BA crew in New York recently if we're overpaid.
Fair comment, but (a) BA weren't after your salary - they were after a constructive solution to long-term efficiency and costs that enable present crew to remain in the same financial position, and (b) you have to be careful using the safety argument as you can get to a point where any salary figure is justified, yet the reality is that there is a market rate, and many people (ambulance staff and the like) who are paid less for what is in many ways more responsibility.

I don't agree with the "break the crew" and "chop the costs to easyJet levels tomorrow" brigade, but I do call you out on pursuing that line of reasoning to justify your position.

If this episode results in a new, consultative, collaborative and educated new union, all for the better. The process to arrive at that doesn't need to destroy present employees' positions.

Let's be clear - the only group that the monthly travel payment (properly negotiated) could or should impact is that who gamed the system to do constant NRT / SIN sectors, rather than the mix of all routes. Coupled with the employment at Unite of the scheduling individual who allegedly permitted these fiddles - explain succinctly to me how that has the best interests of the members at heart?

Stand as a rep and clear out the current lot if you are want real representation...