PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 18th Mar 2010, 12:25
Eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlpineSkier
I think you are in a much easier position. You are in YOUR normal situation, with crew back-up and probably a dozen "volunteering" pax as well and little worry about the law condemning you for using too much force on normally just one person.
It's not that easy matey. I've been involved in a very serious medical incident that involved the diversion of my LGW-KIN flight to BDA.

While myself and a few of my colleagues were trying to deal with the incident, we had other passengers crowding around us, rubber necking, asking us for things, demanding a normal service. We can't just ALL chip in when an incident happens, we have to do what we can with minimal man power because sadly, even the ignorant and inconsiderate can buy plane tickets these days.

A teacher can leave the classroom if they're being threatened.

And regarding the excessive force when dealing with one person, you can bet that we'll be appearing in court if we're deemed to have used excessive force in a restraint situation. Such is the world we live in - the guilty are often the ones who are protected most by law.