PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 18th Mar 2010, 10:00
Eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
discuss why it is that every other department / discipline in BA is against the CC industrial action, to the extent of volunteering in their thousands to support BA
I do hate BA's use of the word "volunteer". A volunteer is surely someone who works for nowt?

When cabin crew are asked to work in the terminals at times of disruption, they're volunteers. They go in on their days off and they work for nothing. I know - I've done it.

When baggage handlers and loaders etc do the same, they're paid their normal rate.

Now we see people "volunteering" to work as crew. Yet they aren't volunteers are they, really?! They'll be on their usual basic, they'll be paid our overtime and meal allowance rates (I didn't get lunch money when I went to the terminal) and they'll be doing a week of a pretty fun job, visiting some amazing places, staying in some nice hotels without the same level of responsibility as the other crew in the company.

They're not volunteering at all - they're going on a paid jolly.