PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The IPA at bmibaby
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2010, 19:18
Looker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipa / Ipf

Whilst I can understand your viewpoint about divided union representation I don't think that is likely at Baby now.

BALPA membership has plummeted in recent months/weeks due to the inept performance of the CC and PN. The members have been kept in the dark as to what is going on, not been consulted on major issues and there has been no link between the other BALPA CCs at Mainline or Regional.

To put some perspective on this - no consultation with the members before signing an agreement to defer for 2 years the 3rd year pay rise from a 3year pay deal. This deferral was signed back in 2009 and people are now just finding out about it now.

The PN has been evasive and disingenuous. Big BALPA simply refused to back members who had their contract of employment breached. Pilots had to resort to paying for a solicitor themselves to protect their rights of employment.

So the chance of having a 50 - 50 split with BALPA is not very likely.

Whilst the IPA may not be as well resourced as BALPA it doesn't have the hand cuffs that Big BALPA brings. I would wager its entertainment budget is significantly less as well!

And the troops are voting with their feet. Resignations a plenty from BALPA whilst IPA membership in Baby has rocketed - just shy of 50% in a matter of 2 weeks.

What the members want is a Union that is prepared to communicate, listen to the views of the people it represents and then negotiate with management using the mandate given to them. Its not rocket science but BALPA have failed to grasp this principle in Baby.

Looker