PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 17th Mar 2010, 15:35
demomonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock & Awe

Over the last few days I have been surprised by how many CC&FD seem genuinely shocked that trade union organisations contribute large sums of money to the Labour party. Hello, where have you been? The origin of the Labour Party stems from the idea of workers financing a socially progressive political movement to represent their views which were largely ignored by the Tory/Liberal establishment of old. You're financing the proletariat - get over it.

I was also shocked by many of my colleagues reactions to how BA intends to support those who do chose to work with reimbursement of travel costs. What did you expect? That the company would roll over and give in?

For WW this is war, not just war but THE war and he's determined to win. He's learned well from previous clashes and he seems to have thought way way ahead of BASSA's leadership and is ready to immediately respond. Regardless of what happens at the upcoming meeting, he will already have a response prepared. Two fundamental rules of negotiating have been broken here;
  1. Know your opponent - BASSA have massively under-estimated WW's determination.
  2. Never ask a question you don't know the answer too - BASSA has voluntarily walked itself into a place where WW has the undeniable advantage. This should be a case study for other unions.
I think it is absolutely shameful that BASSA have so naively got themselves into this position. CC deserve much much better!

So don't be so shocked, it only makes you [BASSA/Unite] look naive. As the saying goes "if you're going to swim with sharks, don't bleed".

Last edited by demomonkey; 17th Mar 2010 at 15:57.