PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates ULR screwing!!!
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2010, 11:49
IXNAT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I figured someone would misunderstand my post. Proved my point Littlejet. I am sure I don't have to explain but I'll try again. I trust my copilots without exception. BUT, you know, the captain has the complete responsibility for what ultimately happens to the aircraft. If I am completely out of the loop by being 70 meters away from the cockpit and not able to return, there is an issue. As I stated, we have a number of f/o's here that for whatever reason (time on EK aircraft, e.g.) the company deems not ready or (don't agree but that's the facts)of taking on the responsibility of being in the left seat. But it's okay for those f/o's to make all decisions regarding the conduct of a dire emergency. Seems inconsistant to me. So again, it's not the copilots' ability that I question, but rather the fact the captain has been removed, by company policy, from a possible emergency.

But more importantly, with only one captain on the a/c, do you, as the captain, remove yourself from possible decision making by taking rest in an area where one might not be able to return? Likely not happen....but.

And of course tongue in cheek, remember to return to full uniform before returning to the cockpit, less someone in first report that fact to the company.

So captains, what is one to do? Disregard company policy about where rest taken or just be a good boy.