PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 16th Mar 2010, 23:32
Right Engine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pilots naively believe that because some of them are volunteering as CC that they will be treated extra well by WW. If they believe that they will believe anything. WW saw off the BALPA in the courts over OpenLies and this whole business will come back to bite them very hard indeed.
That is a gross oversimplification of what to each and every pilot volunteer was a very tough decision to make. As a volunteer, I did not turn up for my 3 day SEP course naively thinking I was gaining a brownie point. I was supporting my belief that Willie needed the leverage of a volunteer workforce to keep this airline afloat. British Airways, in the eyes of many of the travelling public has a brand that was synonymous with "INDUSTRIAL UNREST".
I, like many of the volunteers, had grave doubts whether the brand could ever extricate itself from the image of an airline that is forever dogged by strikes. We all knew that the relationship with our cabin crew colleagues would be under strain, but in my opinion, there is close to a majority of cabin crew turning up on Saturday and they seem to hold the same beliefs as we do.

If BA do go belly up I will however be putting on my CV that I volunteered. At least that would convey that I was committed to the survival of my company.

If you really can't bring yourself to work as crew, BA are looking for volunteers to taxi aircraft on Friday night and there is plenty of overtime available. Help yourself to the money on offer whilst some of your colleagues save the airline.