PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 16th Mar 2010, 21:49
HasFlyed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG we are going to crash!

Wherever I have gone I have found communities of expats, It is easier to identify groups of people living together on the other side of the planet from where they all consider home. In fact, if you take a closer look wherever you are, you will find groups of like minded folk who seek each other out, (even after work), and provide each other with mutual support. It is natural, inevitable, comfortable and very human. Of course, this also goes on in the world of work.
It is comfortable to be in your own group. You share so much: experiences, jokes, shared hate-figures, even often a shared vocabulary. Groups at work are even more homogenous than others in some ways because they are doubly selected. 1) They select their area of work because they find it attractive. 2) They are selected by an employer looking for a particular skill set.
. The above applies to the BA Cabin Crew. They have been together for a long time, (some of them a very long time), and they have collectively learned that IA (the old fashioned 70’s type), works for them.
Now Pilots, remember your CRM? Remember “confirmation bias”? – We look for information that confirms that we are getting it RIGHT. And tend to dismiss information that says we are getting it wrong. (c.f. post 3123 by Two-Tone-Blue we even tend to do it with our reading habits!) Hands up anybody who thinks CRM only applies to the flight deck environment?
Yes, the CC have their own “world view” as we do ours. They find themselves in a crisis situation, (think aircraft in a spin), and they are looking for evidence that what they are doing is going to WORK AGAIN THIS TIME.
I believe that some on here are behaving more like the old fashioned screeming warning siren that was so effective in paralysing pilots to death. We, (IMHO) should be behaving like a reliable artificial horizon and provide thoughtful carefully reasoned helpful advice.
When in a tricky situation, find a source of reliable information and act on it.
Helpful analogy? What do you think?