PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Business trips'
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2010, 21:04
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happens is that a pilot who knows how to collect comprehensive weather data is probably more likely to cancel a trip well before departure.

On "business" trips, on the kinds where one has to be there, a smart pilot who has got the weather data ends up not so much getting into muck and going back (that's a VFR thing really) but more likely cancelling and driving /taking an airline on most of the occassions - simply because he can't take the risk of not arriving, and booking an airline needs to be done well ahead of time else you get shafted on the ticket price.

With passengers who have to be at work the following day, etc, I will cancel very readily because I don't want any hassle and don't want to pay for airline tickets getting them back home.

The other angle is that with most customers you want to conceal the use of a plane, because it is not trendy to show wealth, and a customer will realise he's paying for your pricey hobby That's another reason why one cancels a lot of potential GA flights to customers, because a delayed arrival is likely to reveal the means of travel.

I know of people who fly "GA" on business very successfully but they have serious high altitude radar equipped hardware, IRs of course, the flights are usually ILS to ILS airport, and I think most use twins because returning late in the day means flying a lot at night which is arguably questionable from a risk management POV if one does it often. And of course their home airport needs to be open late, and most GA ones aren't...

On selected occassions it works brilliantly and I have shrunk 7hr drives to 1.2hr flights, but in a typical IFR plane the despatch rate is poor unless one is visiting tame business contacts and billing the flying to the company, which is a 100% legit business expense but it isn't what I would necessarily call comprehensive use of a plane for business.