PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 15th Mar 2010, 18:34
airpolice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imagine life without a job or a pension

I'm just a passenger.

I used to get staff travel discounts from my sister, but now I pay for my tickets with money that I work hard for.

I run my own business, and I am baffled as to how the seemingly intelligent people I meet in BA are so taken in by the lefties.

There is nothing more important in any business than Management's right to manage. The unions, staff associations or even the individual staff, are not in a position to decide how the company operates. That's a certain road to madness and death of the business.

Ask yourself this; "How fcuked are you going to be if BA should go to the wall"

Also ask; "How Fcuked is Willie Walsh going to be if BA......"

The answers are "Very" and "Not at all"

If you cabin crew want to have a job then you will need to get on with doing what you are being paid for. People at the top decide what is to be done and people at the bottom do it. If you serve me my dinner and I decide not to eat it until ten minutes to landing, you'll not have time to clear up before we all need to be strapped in. If I decide, along with more passengers to walk around the cabin during the approach, things are going to get difficult for all of us. Why can't cabin crew reailse that if the bosses say "This is the number of crew you are going to have on the aircraft" that has to be the way of it?

In the event that some of you want to decide how to run an airline, here's a quick taste of business reaility.

BA falls apart, Willie and the top brass make off with loads of money they already have, and they can get jobs, Knighthoods and Peerages as they have shown they are made of the right stuff. The ever so happy bosses at the other airlines, having been saved from bankruptcy by the abolition of BA, are all going to do well, as will their cabin crew, pilots and others.

HR Managers at those other airlines will be swamped by applications from ex BA staff. Put yourself in the place of such an HR Manager. Would you employ somone who helped to put BA under? With no way of knowing who was militant and who was caught up in it, best just to say no.

There will be some good news. The people at Unite will be safe as they will still have their jobs and be able to pay their mortgage, buy a new car etc. etc and even go on holiday.

Did Arthur Scargill or Maggie Thatcher go hungry during the Miner's strike? Not on your life. Did they end up jobless? No.

Is Willie Walsh's future at stake? No.

Is Yours?