PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 15th Mar 2010, 11:15
Snas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Litebulbs, I get the impression that politically there wouldn’t be much more than a ciggy paper between you and I were we to meet in a pub old bean. No doubt we could both cite numerous examples where a strong trade union has been needed to prevent the out and out exploitation of a work force that some corporate bodies regularly try to do.

But, you would have needed to have been a BASSA watcher for some time (well in excess of this single IA instance) to understand how far divorced they are from what I, and I would humbly suspect you, would consider to be a decent trade union determined to effectively represent all its members.
It really and truly has failed.

I don't believe that the anonymous beginning of the PCCC is the right way to present a challenge either. Even if I do understand why they have done so I’m afraid that if they can’t stand up to their colleagues perhaps they can’t stand up to management when required either. That being said, they have done more than many, so perhaps I’m being a bit unfair on reflection.

Short version, I’m very much in favour of unions, but only good ones and it looks like (and I dont believe I would ever have had to say this) that it may take BA management to weed out the bad bits of BASSA and leave something behind to serve the members better...!

Edit - Note that Litebulbs, a non BASSA rep, is left to speak for the union movement alone on this thread, this says a lot about a lot in my view. He also deserves due respect for doing so I would suggest. Aint easy being a lone voice after all.