PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 15th Mar 2010, 10:22
Diplome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TwoRoles:

If I am to understand your comment correctly, the reason you are supporting this strike is because the reduction in staffing was imposed?

I will admit to having some difficulty understanding some BASSA members line of reasoning.

The Court has ruled that the change in staffing was reasonable and the issue was non-contractual (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

How much power should a Union have in the day to day operations of a business such as BA? What I'm finding objectionable is my impression that BASSA feels as if it should be consulted on basic business operations outside of the realm of its obligation to reasonably protect the interests of its members.

The public, or at least the vast majority of the public, seem to agree that BASSA is crossing the line in that they not only want to be consulted regarding Cabin Crew issues, but also wish to be part of the decision making process regarding business planning and day to day operational issues. This is simply not their scope.

As for the comment regarding imposition being misused in the future, that is not something to strike over now..especially when it has been ruled that this imposition is quite appropriate.