PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2010, 15:44
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rananim
Very interesting reading.I believe that the BFU are barking up the wrong tree in placing emphasis on the ambiguity of x-wind "limitations" as being the "golden nugget" here.Genuine miscalculation or pragmatic stand-down to avoid conflict with Airbus?
It is my thought too but in the same time the German BFU is going much further, in a territory where the French BEA would never adventure.

B)These are issues,we know them,we are trained to deal with them,we always feel confident of precisely controlling the a/c in changing wind conditions close to the ground using dual input or by using takeover button
C)These are issues,we know them,I as Captain always fly the approach in gusting x-winds because the design of the airplane leaves me as PNF in a x-wind approach and landing in a vulnerable position.
Even if I can feel some contradiction between your points B and C, I believe your appreciation as described in point C is absolutely correct regarding the state of vulnerability to which a Captain can be exposed. Isn’t it symptomatic that a "new" technology does not bring any improvement but more something like a kind of setback … !?

Final point, I don't share your view on dual input.
Dual input should not be considered as an option.