PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 11th Mar 2010, 13:03
ba.husband

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've not been around for the start of this thread and it's predecessors, but I've been following for some time, and I'd just like to inject a bit of reasoned argument for CC, against the bullying style of management that came with Walsh and the self consuming destruction it has brought to BA

1/ SOSR. Although yes, it does appear as if this is a valid enough tactic, the result will be as many unfair/constructive dismissal tribunals against BA as people who leave over it. In fact, any mass-action like that will have huge cost implications for BA, costs which they won't recoup and which will be being paid for on the other side by a variety of insurance covers. I'm not sure people appreciate how difficult a position it would be to defend on so many fronts.

2/ Disparity of pay.

a/ British Airways is never going to be able to compete against budget airlines and to be honest it's a nonsense that it should try. WW has effectively forced Aer Lingus into doing so and in doing so appears to have all but wiped the airline out. BA exists as a premium airline and does very well in that niche.

b/ From a British business perspective, their worldwide route coverage makes them far cheaper to deal with than most others. Pay a little more for a single negotiated contract or a little less for heaps of negotiations? One of the costs of doing business in this way is a slightly more expensive IFCE budget.

I appreciate both sides of the argument to some extent but I just don't get why anyone would believe EITHER side. Walsh has been brought in to break the unions and all employee contracts in order to provide the company with far more flexibility in future. The unions have internal problems and a political need to protect the numbers of unionised employees.

Both sides have repeatedly demonstrated their willing to lie through their teeth, to bully and to act illegally, it's a pity that Cabin Crew are in the middle of it and more of a pity that it's such a huge battle that it's destroyed all BA's morale and inter-departmental trust.

When your manager has been trained as crew and breaks the strike taking place to defend your contract, how are they supposed to go back to being your manager afterwards? It's a joke and a bad one at that. The only decent solution is for Walsh to resign AND for BASSA to be decapitated and all senior staff to be replaced. Sadly, I can't see both of those things happening.