PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 9th Mar 2010, 15:09
oldflyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Observations.

As a longish time retired cabin crew member who flew with BEA/BA for 39 years both at LHR and the regions, I maintain a real interest in BA, and have many friends who still fly both sides of the cockpit door, and who work on the ground at Heathrow. I have been following this thread for a few months now, but only now decided to contribute as things seem to be coming to a head.

Firstly, BASSA have a long history of 'NO, now what's the question', indeed in the mid 70's I recall being told to shut up at a meeting at LHR when I suggested there could be a better way of dealing with a certain issue, as "confrontation was the only way to resolve issues with the Management", but as long as BA was prepared to throw money at a problem when pushed, you can't really blame the mindset. (The whole setting up of Shuttle springs to mind, as well as the large sums earned at LGW by BEA Airtours crew when this charter arm of the airline was created; No crew for a flight?, turn the next incoming one round by paying them a days overtime and double allowances!).

Many managers, heads of cabin services, chief executives tried to change this, but history indicates that when pushed against the IR wall, most gave in.

Now however the situation has dramatically changed, with a CEO who has a mandate to reduce costs across the airline, a board prepared to back him, and an econonomic reality which means if he fails, there is a real danger BA could go out of business.

Sadly I believe BASSA has failed to adapt to these new realities, and should have been more proactive in engaging both with CC89 and IFE to come to agreement last year. The Christmas strike threat was a major disaster for the union, as there is no public support for their stance, and Mr Walsh is the first CEO to have real contingency plans to reduce the effect of any strike action, a first in my memory.

The only way forward is real, genuine consultation without posturing, but I fear this is too late for all concerned. The Unite leader does not help with his 1970's style of confrontation to the media, and this, together with BASSA's cult like hold over many of it's members and Mr Walsh's determination as I see it to reduce the power of BASSA over the daily operation, also bodes ill for a peaceful resolution. I am no fan of his, given that the regions have no BA presence and so many lives were changed as a result of his decision to shut down those bases, but it does indicate he has the stomach to make the tough decision if the business is stronger for it.

As regards the future, my experience says crew best relate to managers they know and respect. Too many have never flown as crew, and although of course you don't have to have done the job to manage those doing it, in crew eyes it does help. I cannot tell you how many times I have spoken to crew, who moving to London would say, " I have never met my manager, or I have had 3 managers in the last 4 years" or words similar. When I first started flying in 1968, I had the same boss for 4 years, and this only changed when I moved bases, where the manager I had there was in place for many years until he retired. This led to a building up of respect and trust on both sides. We did have our IR issues in the regions, but they were mainly resolved peacefully, as the local BASSA reps knew the people sitting the other side of the table, and business could be done.

Finally I wish all of you involved with this a speedy resolution, but I do fear for you guys. Remember, and I am sure it has been posted here before, 'Jaw Jaw is better than War War.'