PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 9th Mar 2010, 12:50
sixmilehighclub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winch & Rover -

Over the years it seems many new agreements have been written between the company and the crew, via the unions. Over the years, times change, situations change, someone gets affected, discussions take place, then new rules come into force.

From what I have seen, there are many old (over 30 years) and sometimes unecessary rules and agreements causing a lot of restriction on the operation.

By trying to change these rules, some percentage of people are going to get upset, usually the ones it directly affects, sometimes just the more militant crew who feel they are losing out, even if it doesnt directly affect them.

Recent conversations i've had with crew would suggest that most are wiloling to be flexible but are told they cant be.

I was speaking to a hostie thast operates the european routes from LHR. She was scheduled to operate 8 sectors over three days, nightstopping in 2 european cities, On day two her inbound flight was delayed. Although the crew had plenty of time to make their next flight and stop for a break on the way, they were taken off the trip for the sake of ONE minute outside the agreement. Despite the company knowing they had landed, disembarked and were on their way tot he next flight, they recrewed the trip and sent the original crew home. All crew were willing to work on, but weren't allowed. Such a waste of man hours.

I believe on some very delayed flights before departure, all crew have to be in agreeance to work to maximum allowed hours. Yet if one person disagrees, they all go home. Surely it makes more sense to offload that one crew member and replace them?

Crew should surely be allowed to volunteer to be flexible? Most I know would want to stay on their schedule. Understandably the airline needs to have a contingency plan to avoid delayed departures. But thats what standbys are for and they surely dont need more than 60 minutes notice to get to an aircraft at T5? Surely a message can be sent to aircraft asking late arriving crew if they are willing to still operate the next sector?

Theres also apparantly a clause that if crew work a long day, they are entitled to longer rest. Thats fair. But if they go a minute into whats seen as a longer day, irrespective of how hard or easy their day has been, they can get 'knocked off' their next days duty, which means they may be rescheduled onto another flight or get the day off. Again, for the sake of minutes, most crew I know would happily stick with their original schedule.

I feel more productive scheduling, or allowing the crew to be flexible would really help the operation.

As for the unions - they are losing the backing of their members. Both sides are still in talks but they are both digging their heels in - probably caused by pride from old arguements too - and they have stopped listening to what the crew really want. Most want to compromise.

It seems both the union and the company want all or nothing. Sort it out!!!