PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does Glider time count as total time on applications ?
Old 7th Mar 2010, 23:35
robin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, lets talk some reality here. If you start gliding and get a Silver C that equates to a 10hr saving on a PPL conversion (or did when I converted). That Silver C took 6 years and around 120 hours of gliding and a lot of time and money (and wasted weekends waiting on the weather).

Sure, I'm a pretty good pilot now and I owe most of my skill in piloting and reading of weather to my years of gliding.

But commercial flying is about systems management and the element of piloting is relatively limited. There's not likely to be another Hudson event for a very long time - even the pilot himself has left the industry because of the way flight crews are being treated.

One thing you'll learn is that nothing in aviation is cheap or easy. There aren't any short-cuts, unless you win the lottery.

So my advice is to bite the bullet and get the hours in in the normal way - get a share in a Permit aircraft (or non-equity). That will build your hours infinitely quicker and the skills will be more relevant.