PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Menwith Hill
Thread: Menwith Hill
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2010, 19:51
G-KEST

Awesome but Affordable

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Devil

Around 25 years ago I was invited to fly in a hot air balloon at the Brass Monkey balloon meeting organised by the Pennine Region of the BBAC centred in Harrogate on a cold January weekend. The flight was taking part in a "fly-in" competion where the pilot chooses a launch site from which the prevailing winds will take the balloon as close as possible to a pre-determined landing place selected by the organisers. He selected a farmers field immediately adjacent to the Menwith Hill facility. As we were laying out the balloon in preparation for takeoff a couple of "Ministry" police cars drew up and the occupants approached us. "You cannot take off from here" they said to which the pilot and I responded "Oh yes we can, as we have the landowners permission". They closely watched our departure but declined to wave us goodbye. We climbed out in stately fashion over the "golf balls" and radio antenna eventually landing after an hour or so in the grounds of Ripley Castle, a well known stately home.
I imagine the reactions and attitude of the policemen were not assuaged by the fact that the balloon was one sponsored by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament with the CND logos emblazoned on the envelope. Happy Days.
Cheers,
Reaper 69

Last edited by G-KEST; 6th Mar 2010 at 22:33. Reason: changing a word