PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Menwith Hill
Thread: Menwith Hill
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2010, 14:29
batninth
Oh Shazbat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I'd avoid Menwith Hill, I have been up there & seen light aircraft flying close by but I've also been on a commercial flight into Leeds & have been on a hold flying around the base. I'd give it a wide berth just in case the LBA ATC guys put someone over there.

Might be a stupid question but do you think they have SAM?
Used to go up there with a youth baseball team. A few years ago they had a great chap doing the liaison, and we had the young players sat eating their lunch when he came over to talk to the lads & lasses. One of the younger guys pointed at the white domes & innocently asked "What are those?"

Liaison officer points at one and says "See that one?". Youngster replies "Yes", so chap says "That's where we keep the missiles...See that one?..." (now pointing at another) "...That's where the nuclear submarine comes up after it's sailed up the Humber..."

Young player is sat wide-eyed not sure whether to believe him or not when we hear gunfire from a group practicing on the rifle range to which liaison chap points at another dome and says "Oh, thats where we take folks to shoot 'em"

For some reason we had no problems getting the players to do exactly as we asked after that

I know an Ex USAF Colonel who still goes to Menwith Hill to do his shopping for American Food.
Quite likely, we had a American lad playing for us whose father used to stand with his nose pressed against the PX begging the Menwith parents to get him "proper polony"