PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kids controlling at JFK
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2010, 10:16
Ditchdigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditchdigger

Tell the Mrs. to ask those controllers that were around before your wife & see if anyone has a copy of the old MBI or bulletin that encouraged & allowed the controllers to exchange brief pleasantries with our customers, the flying public. I had a copy until August '09, when I downsized & purged unnecessary papers. It was never rescinded that I know of & had no expiration date. It's encouraged when time permit, but not mandatory. Used to love to show that to anyone following an "over-the-shoulder" or "tape talk review".
Thanks. I'll do that.

@those who support kid speaking over the frequency > consider this > would you allow your kid to operate 10 ton truck if you were truck driver,
As my screen name would lead you to believe, I really am a professional ditchdigger. I've let my children operate excavating machinery, under my direct supervision, with the engine barely above idle, and away from any hazards or obstructions. And yes, I let one of my daughters, at the age of 8, steer my dump truck around the yard, while sitting in my lap. Did I endanger anyone's life, or compromise my professionalism?

To those who think this was safety issue, or an example of lack of professionalism, I pose the following question--any given human endeavor contains elements of risk, and success or failure depends on how those risks are managed. Professionals, by virtue of their training, experience, and good judgement are given the responsibility of managing relatively great degrees of risk. Can anyone enumerate the risks involved here, and specify how the controller failed to manage those risks?