PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Officer flies 13 years without license
Old 6th Mar 2010, 09:30
MathFox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. N.S. Fletcher, I appreciate your contribution and agree with you that this pilot should be punished for his fraud. OTOH, I think it is good to take one step back and look at the holes in other parts of the system that were abused so that Mr. Fake could land his flying job.

The first (obvious) hole that was abused was insufficient verification of the pilot license. Several airlines accepted a "home made" piece of paper (or maybe just the pilot's word) for a real license. Off course one could make the certificate harder to fake, but tell me how often you see an Icelandic or Maltese pilot license... is that enough to spot a falsification? In these days of internet connectivity it should be pretty easy for a CAA to set up a web site where one can validate a license: Enter a license number[*] and you get a web page with the details of the license. (No need to provide current address of the pilot, name and date of birth should be enough.)
[*] One can ask some other data, like "issue date" to prevent access by people just trying license numbers.