PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kids controlling at JFK
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2010, 09:26
Lon More

More than just an ATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it was not the best idea in the world. However it could have been dealt with quietly internally. It looks like these two people are being hung out to dry for a minor bad judgement call. This was not as serious as an Airprox, IMO, and, having seen nothing beyond brief press releases, I even wonder if the full story has been made known? I can recall something similar being done in the dim pre Elf and Safety days but pilots were advised on the previous freq. that it would happen. Who can state at the moment that this did not happen? If anybody had an objection then would have been the time to state it.
Where will the lines now be drawn? God forbid CC should ever make an R/T call again without receiving instructions to land at the nearest airfield, possibly with several f16s or similar in attendance.
Why only suspend the father and the Supervisor? Why not everybody in the TWR, as by not speaking up, they have condoned the action. Presumeably the child (singular, I believe, despite the leader here) had a permit to enter a Federal building. Who issued that? He/she has also made a bad call. Where does the buck stop? Obama? (I'm surprised nobody has blamed him yet)

A rap on their knuckles, a couple of days off to think about things and then back to normal. Time to bury this - as already stated it isn't the aviation story of the year.