PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 6th Mar 2010, 09:01
christmaslights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volunteers are human as well... they are not DOGS!

'You will never get such service from someone 'trained' to do the job. You train dogs, not humans.
What BA senior management have done wrong in this dispute is to attempt to demonise all cabin crew, including those that do an excellent job; as with all things in life this will rebound. That has been a very wrong thing to do.
It has been an utter disgrace to publish crews allowances in the red top press, and has blatantly shown how low the management of the company is prepared to sink.
BA management will win this dispute, of that I have no doubt. But, I do wonder what worth they will be afterwards; who will trust them?'

I am sorry but volunteers are human beings, certainly not dogs that are being trained. They have the motivation for what they are doing, to save their jobs and their livelihood. That gives them passion in what they are doing: ok the service will not be the full service customers are used to, but there's no doubt it will be professional and it will be given with commitment and warmth.
Those people are going to be there with a purpose and to show customers that BA does care and that we are all prepared to go even more than the extra mile to help.

You have worked with competent and professional crew members? We know most crew do a fantastic job, this is not in dispute. However the idea that they should stop doing a good job or being professional because time has changed and the company cannot afford the current agreements is ridiculous. We all had to work harder as a result of the current situation. We are all standing unite (to quote what is my union as well!) working harder and doing our best in what are very challenging circumstances. You are not the only ones, and you won't be the last ones to make sacrifices!

You ask the question 'who will trust the management?' my challenge to you is: who has ever trusted the management in the crew community in the past? Apart from a minority, crew seem to be believing that whatever is published in the various internal communication channels is a lie. So what's new now?

You did not believe in the company before and you won't believe in the company in the future. no changes there.

The difference is that now the rest of the company and the public know the actual figures (with the understanding that as with every average, individuals figures will differ from the average, but the average is meant to show what the cost is to the company) and this feels uncomfortable. Maybe the union should have thought about this before pushing things to this extent. It works for them that crew don't trust BA management, but then they have to live with the consequences of what this means.

But comparing volunteers to dogs is a disgrace, as I am sure no crew likes to be compared to anything undignified.