PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbo Prop Command versus Jet F/O?
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2010, 19:50
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
A good friend of mine went from years of Turboprop command at the regionals to F/O at the majors. After about 12 months he said to me "Krusty, if they'd have me back I'd return to my old job tomorrow." At the time he was earning approx the same amount as a Jet F/O as he was as a Captain on the Turboprop. Money wasn't the issue for him at that time, he actually always wanted to fly a jet, but untill DJ came along opportunities were limited. As he found out however, the grass is not always greener.

Sadly (for the regionals that is) most Turboprop Captains now moving from the LHS (turboprop) to the RHS of a jet will in fact see a significant pay rise! Something most regional airline management have failed to grasp, to their ultimate discredit.

Anyway after about 4 years, my friend moved to command on the Jet. He would still rather fly the regionals, but admits the "real" money he is now earning will allow him the means to properly look after his family, and at least retain some dignity in retirement!

At the end of the day, that's what it's all about.