PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 4th Mar 2010, 23:36
FlexSRS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unite in last-ditch bid to avert BA strike | Business | guardian.co.uk

It is understood that, as well as saving money, the proposals address Unite's concerns over staffing levels on flights and BA's plan to introduce new cabin crew recruits on a separate fleet.
So, today, BASSA have been scrabbling around working out how they can save £60m so they can put a crew member back on, and rescue the CSD from a fate worse than death - working on a trolley! As WW said, why on earth would the 13 other crew on a 747 want to take a paycut of about £2000-2500 a year just so the CSD can go back to what they were doing (or not doing) before?

I mean, we all know there is going to be a huge element of face saving at play here; BASSA have painted themselves in to a corner, and even though most crew would probably choose '1-down' as a painless way of saving cash, they can't admit to that, but I have to say I am almost impressed at the way High Command are still flogging this dead-horse of crew-levels.

I am particularly keen on seeing just what exactly they will have the 'proles' do to get what they want! What intriguing selection of painful cuts that the membership doesn't want will they offer up in sacrifice? I reckon a lovely smorgasbord of things like early starts, late finishes, fixed links and cheapo African trips for Eurofleet, perhaps a bit more of a paycut for LGW "they're mostly students anyway", less hotel upgrades for Pursers and below, and all Indian trips to go to New Fleet? That should do it.

As BASSA members, I assume crew have been fully consulted on exactly what sort of cuts and savings would be acceptable to them? The mix of pay and productivity? I expect BASSA have carried out extensive polling? Sought your opinions? Held some workshops to discuss the potential ramifications etc? - Of course not!

Dear crew, in the desperate fight to the bitter end, when they have to throw everything at the glorious fight for CSDs to be freed from their trolleys, watch your family silver and meal breaks be sold from under your noses, but fear not comrades, it is for a higher cause!