PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kids controlling at JFK
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2010, 15:29
atco-matic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't normally post on PPrune, but having read some of the ridiculous comments on here (and on other webistes)I feel compelled to reply.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but quite clearly there are lots of people in this thread (and around the world) who don't know the first thing about ATC or the job that we do.

For a start, in the UK you need a Radio Telephony licence in order to transmit on an ATC frequency. The minimum age for such a licence is 16 years of age. Does no such age restriction exist in the USA?

So if this were the UK, that's one rule broken before we've even started.

I am just stunned that anybody would allow a child to transmit instructions to aircraft on their ATC licence. This has nothing to do with "humour" at all. It's irresponsible, it smacks of total unprofessionalism, and I can't believe that anybody would think it would be a good idea. I wouldn't even supervise an ADULT on my licence if they hadn't got a student ATC licence, let alone a child with zero training whatsoever.

When you think that we aren't even allowed visitors in the Operations Room now unless you have an aviation background, what could possibly make ANYBODY think this is just harmless fun? Quite frankly, it beggars belief.

The people involved in this should be dismissed instantly without question.