PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 4th Mar 2010, 12:10
GS-Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't agree for a moment they have a weak mandate. 80% is a strong vote, however it's dressed up.
The 80% vote does not mean 80% will strike. So many crew say, "I voted yes, but I am not going to strike." They were hoping to call Willie's bluff. It has not worked. So yes, they most definitely do have a weak mandate.

Personally I think the cabin volunteers are a waste of money. The strike was dead in the water even without them. I suppose Willie Walsh would be negligent if he took that gamble though, so he has to have a back up plan. Besides, he now has an army to break a cabin crew strike at any point in the future. Many people feel that striking is the only tool they have against the erosion of their T's and C's. Now even that tool is broken.

I should have said the 'volunteers are a waste of the cabin crews' money', because Walsh will just up the savings targets he needs from them in order to pay for it all. The required savings from New Fleet are growing by the day...