PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Govt Trying To Ban Jump Seats Again Today
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 13:03
aussie027

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ken,
Since you seem to be struggling with the concept of an extra pair of trained pilot eyes in the jumpseat enhancing safety when they are available, let me give you a simple example from my past.

Many years ago back in 1991 , I was sitting in the jumpseat of an Ansett B727 for the descent and landing into Adelaide on a flight from Perth thanks to a Captain who was very happy to have a keen professional general aviation pilot sitting in his cockpit.

As we were on a right base leg for the landing into Adelaide on a nice VFR day, and getting very close to the finals turn, it was my eyes that spotted a Piper Chieftan at our 12oclock low , very close ahead against the ground clutter of the city when boththe Capt and the FO couldnt see it too save themselves ( it happens to us all).
My callout and ID of the traffic and the Captains flying got us safely behind him whereas the situation /spacing would have required a go around by us if the traffic had not been seen for another 10-15sec as we would have flown thru the final approach path and be too close to the traffic to follow at a safe distance down finals.

I'm sure dozens of pilots on here could tell similar jump seat stories.