PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Last look' checks - for/against?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 00:50
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
My opinion; great idea to do it, bad idea to say it out loud.
It's a real pain if someone mumbles something about gear or flap at a critical phase and you have to think "what was that? Is there something abnormal about the gear? ...nope....looks like three greens to me....oh he must have just been doing his personal check....cool"

Do you think that in every accident caused by the aircraft not being in the correct config, the crew had just not read out any checks? Of course they had.
I once called "landing checks thanks" and at that moment the localiser failed...that got our attention for the next few seconds as we sorted out what we were doing and came visual all sort of at the same time, we proceeded to land without doing the landing checks....first up we were distracted at just the wrong moment by a failure, then by getting visual, then by radio calls, then by a nasty crosswind....I'd like to think I would be wise to it now but it was a lesson for me and aircraft definately do land without having done the checklists. We got away with it scott-free, the only reason we knew we didn't do them is because we talked about the approach once parked at the gate.