PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Last look' checks - for/against?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 23:32
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It never hurts to run your own routine double-check, but maybe best do this silently and internally for your own satisfaction and confidence, lest your purpose be questioned or misunderstood

As told to me by the late, great B.J Snook.

Situation;

A priest and a rabbi are sharing a compartment on a train. They naturally have an amicable discussion on Theology until the train slows for the rabbi's stop.
As the rabbi stands up he quickly touches his forehead, lower abdomen, left of his waist and right of his waist in a continuous gesture. The priest is transfixed! "Bejasus!" he exclaims, in the cod Irish accent usually reserved for such occasions, " I had no idea dat men of yer persuasion made the soign of the Holy Cross".

The rabbi paused, looking puzzled, but as he stepped onto the platform he replied over his shoulder, " Oy Father! Dat vos not de zine of de Holy Cross, I only check oi'f not left anytyhink!

"...Spektakles, Testackles, Vollet and Votch!"

Amen!

Seriously though, is it ever sensible to start a take-off roll without a last personal glance at orientation, flaps, trim and Vr (sensible), or to pass 500ft without a final look at landing flap, three greens?

It probably ain't necessary to blab it out loud- tho most of the FOs I know seem to regard it as a confirmation of their own similar private check...so what harm is done?

At least, I'd hope they do - Never forget the basics!

BJ. Thanks. And for a very great deal more than that.

Last edited by Agaricus bisporus; 3rd Mar 2010 at 00:01.