PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First time flying abroad help needed
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2010, 15:39
Flying Boat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Europe

Hello Pyecroft,

There has been a lot of very good help so far.

I normally fly into Europe from Jersey.

If I was going to BENELUX I would enter Schengen through Ostende, 3.2 km runway, super wide and very easy to find (last time I went there it had 3 NDBs), if flying rom the south you used to be told by Ostende to report at KOKSY (Koksijde military base).

Ostende is a very large, friendly but relatively quiet airport, with customs.

If my memory serves correctly, Belgium is more cheap than Holland.

Have as a possible alternate plan, if you enter Schengen through Ostende consider going south into France (cheaper than Belgium and it is only about 30 - 40NM away).

You could visit many airfields with very little flying time, Le Touquet, Calais, Dunkirk, Lille, etc. All thanks to the Luftwaffe.

Finally (never one to miss a chance to promote the Rally) how about getting a team together and enter the Jersey International Air Rally, 28th to 30th May, flying around NW Normandy and spending 2 days in Jersey.
Not to mention, duty free booze, draw back on your fuel tax and very cheap AVGAS for the trip back. Look at the rally thread on this forum.

Whatever you decide it will be one very exciting fun adventure; I remember my first one, 55hours flown (including the UK PPL), Jersey - Ostende - Dortmund - Teuge - Ostende - Jersey.
All of your European trips will teach you a very large amount about flying.

Have fun & Happy Landings

FB