PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 28th Feb 2010, 08:17
WeLieInTheShadows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is not what appears to be the case with Unite - if that were the case, fine, but apparently informed reports have been made on here of meetings lasting just half an hour per day with BA at ACAS in the last week.
We're all only informed generally by what we read or are told. One of my favourite PPRune quotes is "Talk is cheap, and nowhere is it cheaper than on an internet forum". It has also been suggested it's nearly as cheap in a galley or in a cockpit, and quite rightly too. So we should all beware really. Posters are questioning my supposed "facts", and why shouldn't they? I would hope to keep them objective and unbiased. But ultimately my own views on the situation will influence them to some degree and give them a certain "flavour". You don't have to go far from this post to see more extreme examples (from both sides). I'm also no more credible than anyone else. Another faceless tag on a faceless forum.

However the "informed" reports in this case are wrong on one point at least. The talks are taking place at the TUC.

We're only quick to damn UNITE for wanting to explore negotiation because it was they (their membership in fact) who chose unanimously at Kempton Park not to negotiate. The fact that they are now so keen to talk proves everything which has been written regarding the opinion of the strength of their strike vote.
There has been a mandate "NOT to talk?" voted by the membership? Not that I've heard. I know I wasn't at the joint meeting when the ballot results were announced first time around (I've been at the other two). However Len McLusky did say afterwards... "We will wait, ready to meet, anytime, anywhere, 24 hours a day, to try to see if we can resolve the dispute." (Taken from the BBC website).

So I'm going to call you out on that one HF.

WW will get his way (New Fleet all round quite probably), quite possibly without a strike taking place. If a strike does go ahead, given the numbers suggested previously, it will be ineffectual and the only further damage done will be to the BASSA members who are foolish enough to follow their leaders without question. I find it improbable that these people will be allowed to continue working for BA when the dust settles.
I think anyone with half a brain be able to see new fleet IS going to happen, no matter the outcome of this dispute. Nothing CAN stop it. I think UNITE's best course of action is manging that when it comes along, as they have no legal standpoint, until they have a % of members in it. UNITE will get recognition eventually (I suspect using some old style tactics).

As for the departure of a few faces. Maybe that will happen as well. Although the "No man left behind" mantra at the last meeting could be a sticky point on any deal being signed.