PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military/civilian Airprox Incident
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2002, 09:10
S76Heavy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghostflyer,

thanks for the lengthy reply. As I fly a helicopter on offshore flights, even if I bank hard, I won't show that much more profile than when flying straight and level. My airspeed is obviously limited and we do operate in controlled airspace as well as on special routes in uncontrolled airspace. Unfortunately, there are several military ranges nearby and the jets have no obligation to talk to ATC relevant to our flights. In the most extreme event, I had a heads up call from ATC 2 seconds before they went past me on opposite tracks, they had just zoomed up from out of their range and crossed my track, one at my level a few hundred feet away, the other one underneath. NOT FUNNY! Especially as our radar service is SSR only.

Capt Stable, I am still waiting for an official reply to the airprox report, now 3 years ago. It seems as though the military just don't give a flying F*** and it really upsets me that they do not take these things seriously. Not even after a couple of collisions between fighters and civil traffic, with fatalities.
There is only so much we can do to avoid tragedy, being low and slow..