PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 27th Feb 2010, 18:08
draglift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going back to previous comments. I agree that BA cabin crew contain a lot of people who are qualified in other professions. I have flown with ex teachers, policewomen, tube train driver, fireman, several nurses, aircraft ground engineer, member of a BBC orchestra and many more.

However I do not believe this is something cabin crew should boast about.

The fact that these professionals have left their previous jobs to be cabin crew suggests the terms and conditions in BA have been too attractive and have attracted over-qualified personnel. The above are all skilled jobs with far longer training than that required for cabin crew and just because some LHR cabin crew have high qualifications it is not a reason for all LHR cabin crew to be paid more than the going rate for the job.

If you fly from LGW now you do not tend to find these ex professionals which suggests the salaries are more realistic, perhaps too low. At LGW you tend to find enthusiastic young cabin crew or much older cabin crew. Some of the older ones are ex BCAL and Danair who have brought up children who have now grown up and they have returned to being cabin crew 20 years after giving it up and are enjoying the freedom, travel and new life it allows them. Old or young they are a pretty good natured hard working bunch. LHR has some great cabin crew too, but some have been in the job far too long, hate it yet are trapped by a lifestyle unobtainable to them elsewhere.

I can understand the LHR cabin crew desperately trying to hang on to the fantastic quality of life they have enjoyed for so long. I'm sure I would too if I was them. However striking at the merst whiff of a change is not a tactic that can be employed any more and I'm sure strike action now will be detrimental to their future in BA.