PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 27th Feb 2010, 14:19
winstonsmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the point of a strike? The odds are not really that hight that it would be a successful one - and looking at BASSA's incompetence so far makes me me seriously doubt they can pull it off.

Around 7000 have voted in favour for a strike - 5000 have not.

We can assume that not all of those 7000 will actually BE striking. Reasons:

1. Out on a trip - Most of the crew are probably hoping that they will be - including those reps who tried to have their rosters changed in December.
2. Lack of courage - It takes a lot of courage to strike.
3. Financial reasons - Crew with a 9 day SIN/SYD will be tempted to go into work. What's strike pay worth £30 a day compared to allowances worth almost £1000?
4. Everyone else can do it - Thinking that there will be enough crew striking and if I go to work won't make a difference.
5. Fear - Unknown consequences involved for going on a strike.
6. Commuting crew - Losing staff travel for life and how will they get to work in the future? Of course there are crew saying BASSA will be insisting on BA reinstating staff travel before they agree to any deal.

Question to number 6 - do you think BASSA will be in any position to make such demands? There are thousands of unemployed skilled crew in the country who would happily fill any existing gap for striking commuting crew who won't be able to get to work for withdrawing their labour.

Cranebank is crowded with people training to crew aircraft - this is what BA has:

- Pilots.
- Non-union cabin crew.
- No-voting cabin crew.
- Yes-voting cabin crew who will be working - not doubting a second the recently promoted PSRs to CSD belong to this group.
- ICC from all over the world - eligible to operate as ICCM.
- Ex-temporary cabin crew.
- Ground staff.

What does it mean? I would say it looks like a majority situation because there is NO WAY all yes-voting 7000 will be striking - excluding those out on a trip.

To the militant crew - BA is not putting anyone at risk by bringing in staff to operate as cabin crew. Passengers will not die and planes will not crash. Remember, they are actually in TRAINING to learn the job - same as you once were. Their SEP and AVMED knowledge will be 100% as they are fresh and straight out of training - some of you who have been flying for 20 years cannot even locate a BCF - less know how to use one. I have been with BA for 15 years and the lack of knowledge amongst some of you is extremely worrying.

Passengers will not be upset about not "receiving" the same service - Personally I think they will be happy that they are getting to their destination.

Please - go on a strike which some of you have been rambling about for almost a year - and face the consequences that comes along with it. Once it's all over you will be hoping you had settled with working one down.