PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk VI
Old 26th Feb 2010, 14:23
Snas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life after BA

Losing and then looking for another job is grim under the best circumstances, add factors such as being a former employee that now has a reputation (in some eyes) as being intransigent and spoilt, add the transition to a strict Monday to Friday work schedule, which sounds great until you have to do it.

Add the fact that most jobs now are judged on performance and very aggressively in some employment sectors and you have a horror on your hands.

I don’t even begin to imagine what the commuters would do, move back I guess, unless you fancy seeking employment in Spain or Greece or wherever.

How many of the skills are transferable, really? Outside of the leisure, catering, customer services industries which sectors do you think have real parallels. Have you seen what hotels pay for staff, or shops, it’s horrible out there, it really is. Avoid having to deal with it is my advice.

Even if I thought this was an issue worth striking over, which I don’t, in the current climate I simply wouldn’t have the stones to do so – not right now. The risk is simply too high.

But each person has to decide for themselves based on their own situation and evaluation of the risks and act accordingly. I just get a bit bothered when I hear people being told, and then repeating to others, you can’t be sacked.

To VanHorck – You have a point, talk to people who worked in banks back in the early 90’s – they had discounted mortgages which meant they could never afford to leave their job, effectivly