PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First glider...?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2010, 10:50
Mechta

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Me7 / AC-4 worth a look

When I decided to get a glider, I had a look at a few and then put together a requirement in my head:
  1. Own out right - having been in a syndicate I decided I want full control this time.
  2. Easy/Light Rigging - I wanted a glider I would bother to rig on less than perfect days, as experience showed that conditions could improve better than expected, but its then too late to start rigging.
  3. Roomy cockpit and generous weight range - I'm 6ft and no beanpole! I tried sitting in a Ka6 and struggled to get out.
  4. Less than £8K
  5. Reasonable short field landing capability - No drag chutes or ineffective airbrakes
  6. Low maintenance construction
  7. No one offs
  8. As new as possible
  9. Towable by the 1200cc Fiat Punto I had at the time
Out and out performance, oxygen, retractable undercarriage, flaps, water ballast, massive L/D, etc. I decided I could leave for the time being. Time in the air is what I need.

Anyway after looking at various gliders, a low hours Kenilworth ME7a (Aviastroitel AC-4) came up which met my specification, and having spoken to other owners and fliers of the type, I'm happy with my purchase. It doesn't have German standards of finish, but it didn't have a German price tag either. Its finished in acrylic rather than gelcoat, and its the newest glider in our club.

Rigging is one pin for the wings and one for the tailplane. All controls engage automatically. A wing panel weighs 88lbs, so you can just about carry it under one arm; not that I would recommend it!

There have been three others on the market in recent times (including an AC-4C with retractable gear), and I would certainly recommend having a look at them. They were sold as kit built gliders and motor gliders in the USA, although the UK ones were supplied fully finished, so there is a good forum too.

Derek Piggott flew over 500km in one, so I'm confident I should manage 50 or so!