PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aberdeen delay question
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2010, 08:15
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
I am a Scotia Pilot. This thread is getting a bit silly to be honest.

We operate L2s to a cut-down performance solution giving us 2 take-off options that require either 505m or 800m of runway for ASDR (Accleration and Stop Distance Required). Ie the amount of prepared surface required following a failure of a critical power unit - right at the most critical point - just before TDP (Take-off decision point).

Thanks to Mr Eurocopter - neither profile takes account of the effect of headwind component so when the headwind component is strong we actually need less runway - but we just do not have data to support this.

Hence an experienced pilot may decide to go from C3/34 without a backtrack if he is light or has a strong headwind - but in doing so he is taking the risk upon himself.

As regards clearing the runways expeditiously - if we are trying to operate to tolerances that mean a poor Bond pilot struggling to turn downwind (as most of their runway clearances involve turning downwind in the prevailing Westerlies) - is been pressurised to get off the runway - then we are all expecting too much.

I like ATC and I have an enormous respect for them - BUT when a controller starts to question why a 10 ton helicopter can't get off the runway so he can rack something in behind then that respect gets eroded.

PUMAs hate been turned around in the wind, partly due to the autopilot fighting our inputs and mostly due to the fact that it is big slab sided beast that is designed to sit nose into the wind. I think I have around 8,500 hours on the beast in its various guieses now, am and I still treat this kind of descending, turning manouvre with the utmost of respect.

God knows how it must feel when you are an ex robo jockey who has a few hours on type trying to execute these kinds of manouvre.

Added to this - the manouvre one day works very nicely, and on another day, same conditions, the PUMA seems to grunt and groan and threaten to depart its nice controlled flight path all the way the ground.

In aviation we hammer in to ourselves that IF THERE IS DOUBT - THERE IS NO DOUBT.... this is why some pilots make a beautifull sweeping exit landing like a butterfly on the safe side of the stop line and others take a more cautious route. As experience grows we tend to "Listen" to what the machine is telling us and execute a more sympathetic manouvre with safety being the overiding consideration.

The bottom line is that the runway belongs to the landing aircraft UNTIL HE HAS SAFELY EXITED.